Saturday, April 17, 2010

Balloons for Deidre...


Friday at the shop, three women came in, their task was a very important one... To have balloons delivered to their girlfriends' funeral. It was her last request. Balloons. Yes, balloons. She wanted to try to lift the spirits of the people who attended her service, so they wouldn't be so sad. Deidre asked her best girlfriends to do this for her. She was worried that it might be thought of as silly... But what is really wrong with silly? Sometimes silly is what gets us through the hard times. Deidre knew this...So Deidre's girlfriends were at The Basketcase to buy balloons for her funeral. Balloons for Deidre.

The colors were chosen carefully, the design was discussed, and the plan for delivery was gone over, a few times. The girlfriends were relieved...Deidre would have balloons at her services! So few things in life go the way that we want them to go, so for sure if you can have what you want at your funeral, the very thing that is meant to be a celebration of your life, then Yes..You Can Have Balloons!!!!

What wonderful Friends!! What a Blessing! What a Treasure!! As I shared this story with one of my friends, we talked and we cried. Tears of sadness and tears of joy, to know that such people exist! It makes me cry now, as a matter of fact!! I know that my friends would do the same for me and I for them. I am lucky and blessed, just like Deidre.

Deidra wasn't that much older than I am now... So I get a sense that time is short!!! And now is the time to let your family and friends know... That you love them and that if they want Balloons at their funeral, you will make sure that Balloons are there!!!

I didn't know Deidre, but I sure wish I would have... Below is just a short description of Deidre, from the paper.

Deidre loved being with her friends and family and most of all becoming a Grandmother. Deidre was known for her strength, courage, fight for life, honesty, friendship, and for being the sweetest person anyone knew.

And I might add, someone who cared enough for others to have balloons at her funeral.
Love to all... Vonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a really big show!!